V4.0 build 1009
Latest release date:
19 March 2015
What's new in this release?
Free 30 day evaluation, then:
Professional Edition: AU$71.70 (inc. GST)
Standard Edition: AU$39.60 (inc. GST)
(See sales page for more pricing details)
Windows 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 32bit and 64bit.
64 MB RAM, 15 MB of disk space, compatible 802.11 wireless adapter(s).
Version 4.0 is now available, see what's new for more information.
WirelessMon is a software tool that allows users to monitor the status of wireless WiFi adapter(s) and gather information about nearby wireless access points and hot spots in real time. WirelessMon can log the information it collects into a file, while also providing comprehensive graphing of signal level and real time IP and 802.11 WiFi statistics.
- Verify 802.11 network configuration is correct.
- Test WiFi hardware and device drivers are functioning correctly.
- Check signal levels from your local WiFi network and nearby networks.
- Help locate sources of interference to your network.
- WirelessMon supports the MetaGeek Wi-Spy (2.4i, 2.4x and DBx) useful for finding interference from non 802.11A/B/G/N devices transmitting on the same frequencies
- Scan for hot spots in your local area (wardriving)
- Create signal strength maps of an area (also known as heat maps)
- GPS support for logging and mapping signal strength
- Mapping can be performed with or without a GPS unit
- Correctly locate your wireless antenna (especially important for directional antennas).
- Verify the security settings for local access points.
- Measure network speed & throughput and view available data rates.
- Help check Wifi network coverage and range
- A feature-rich, value-for-money alternative to NetStumbler.
Any wireless adapter complies with the NDIS_802.11 (which is most of them) should be able to report information to WirelessMon. Note that only Windows Vista, Win7 & Win10 support this software. Windows XP may work but is no longer actively supported.
All the various IEEE 802.11 standards are supported, including 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g. 802.11N and 802.11AC is supported to the extent provided by Windows, as the drafts become a completed standard more support should become available. Some features may not be supported by some wireless adapters, typically they will report only partial information in this case. It has been also been noted that several wireless adapter manufacturers are not providing device drivers that are fully Windows compliant.
From version 4 some Garmin USB GPS devices (developed using the standalone OEM USB units) are supported via USB connection.
Wireless LAN information
- Current connection information: SSID; Connected access point MAC address; Signal strength; Tx Power; Authentication type; RTS Threshold; Fragmentation Threshold; Channel in use; Frequency being used; Number of Antennas; Beacon Period; ATIM Window; Dwell Time; Hop Pattern; Hop Set.
- Statistics information: More than 30 parameters are reported. Including a detailed break down of frames sent and received, error counts, transmission retry counters and related low level data.
- IP information: Information about the current TCP/IP connection is reported. Including the adapter MAC address; Adapter device driver name; the IP Address; Subnet Mask; if DHCP is enabled; the Gateway Address and the DHCP server IP address.
- IP counter information: Network throughput is monitored and displayed. This includes the maximum bandwidth available from the network adapter hardware, the current send and receive data rates in bytes per second and packets per second, plus error counters.
Standard and Professional Version Differences
There are two registered version available, standard and professional. The professional version has all of WirelessMon's features enabled while the standard version has the following restrictions;
- No GPS: GPS coordinates are not supported and cannot be used for logging or creating a signal strength map
- No signal strength map: The map tab and options are disabled so a signal strength map can not be created, saved or printed.
We are offering a free upgrade to WirelessMon 4.0 to our existing users who purchased previous versions from us. If you have and older version of WirelessMon you will require a new registration key. Please see the Free Upgrades Page for details of upgrades.