PassMark BurnInTest Linux™
Latest release date:
11 April 2018
What's new in this release?
Free 30 day evaluation, then:
Linux Edition: AU$130.30 (inc. GST)
(See sales page for more pricing details)
Hardware requirements :
64 bit Intel or AMD compatible CPU with SSE2 support (Pentium4 or newer)
Recommended 256MB of memory.
15MB Disk space (more is required to run the disk test).
See the system requirements table (Also available for Windows & Linux Shell, see below)
Windows or Linux?
Compare BurnInTest editions
Passmarks BurnInTest ™ for Linux is a software tool that allows all the major sub-systems of a computer to be simultaneously tested for reliability and stability.
- Assists in PC Troubleshooting and diagnostics.
- The best value professional Burn In tool on the market !!
- Avoid delivering D.O.A. (Dead on Arrival) hardware to your customers.
- Dramatically reduce your burn in times with multithreaded simultaneous testing of components.
- Build your image as a supplier of quality systems.
- Avoid costly downtime, system rebuilds and lost data.
- Test the stability of a system after configuration changes or hardware upgrades (critical for overclocking).
- 64 bit GUI and command line versions available
Follow this link to see the main screens
Anyone who has used computers for any period of time knows the importance of having a stable system. The cost of a hardware failure can be enormous. If you are lucky your data will only become inaccessible while faulty components are replaced. If you're unlucky you can lose your files completely or have them permanently corrupted. Even if you have good backups, you can still lose days of work returning the PC to its pre-failure state. In many cases the lost data can never be replaced and businesses can be brought to their knees, with the loss of documentation, customer details and financial records.
What BurnInTest Test does is thoroughly exercise the hardware in a PC in a short period of time, in the same way as normal applications use a PC over a long period of time. This takes advantage of the fact that computer hardware tends to fail either very early in its life or after many thousands of hours of use. Typically BurnInTest should be used before a PC is put into service, as the failure of a computer that isnt being used for a critical application and doesnt have any critical data is much less damaging, (especially if it is still under warranty).
BurnInTest will bring to the surface intermittent or hidden problems so that after a successfully run the computer can be used with a much higher level of confidence. BurnInTest can also be used by overclockers to verify system stability at high clock speeds.
BurnInTest tests the CPU via mathematical operations, hard drives, RAM, CD ROMs, DVDs, 2D graphics, 3D graphic, network connection, serial port and parallel port.. This can all be done simultaneously as the application is multithreaded. Serial and parallel loop back plugs are required for serial and parallel port loopback testing.
The application includes the following additional features:
- HTML manual
- Logging of results to disk in user selectable levels of detail (in ASCII format & HTML formats)
- Timed test runs that will stop automatically at the expiry of the selected time or after a number of test cycles.
- The ability to save your results to disk as log file.
- 'Notes' and 'Machine ID' fields for storing your own audit information along with the saved log file.
- Support for copying the results to other applications (eg. MS-Word) as text data.
- The ability to select the level of load placed on each component, via the setting of a duty cycle for each test.
- Counters that count the total number of operations performed.
- An easy to use point and click interface
- Summary system information including CPU type and CPU speed.
- Testing of up to 120 hard and floppy disks simultaneously
- Testing of up to 20 CD/DVD drives simultaneously
- Testing of up to 64 serial ports simultaneously
- CD / DVD testing using specialized test CD/DVDs
- 2D Graphics
- 3D Graphics (Open GL)
- Serial Port
- Parallel Port
- USB (using the PassMark USB 2.0 Loop back plug or USB3 loop back plug)
- PCIe (using the Passmark PCIe test card)
The following table shows the recommended minimum linux system requirements for running the different versions of BurnInTest.
|Linux Component||V4 Graphical
|V4 Command Line
|Kernel||3.10 or higher||3.10 or higher|
|glibc||2.17 or higher||2.17 or higher|
|Qt||5.6.1 or higher||N/A|
|OpenGL||Included in Qt||N/A|
|Platform||64 bit only (x86 based)||64 bit only (x86 based)|
|Linux Component||V3 Graphical
|V3 Command Line
| V2 Command Line*
|Kernel||2.6.30 or higher||2.6.30 or higher||2.6.9||2.6.9|
|glibc||2.10.2 or higher||2.10.2 or higher||2.3.3||2.3.3|
|KDE||3.5 or higher||N/A||3.2||N/A|
|Qt||4.6.2 or higher||N/A||3.3||N/A|
|OpenGL||Included in Qt||N/A||1.2||N/A|
|Platform||32 & 64 bit (x86 based)||32 & 64 bit (x86 based)||32 & 64 bit (x86 based)||32 & 64 bit (x86 based)|
The command line version of BurnInTest will work in ChromeOS/Chromium, however the GUI version will not as it is missing the Qt libraries.
V4, V3 and V2 versions of BurnInTest are available from the download page.
*Version 2 was tested against this configuration but will work on a broader range than listed here.
Command Line Version
There is a command line version of BurnInTest Linux available that does not use a Graphical User Interface so it does not require an Xwindows / KDE environment to run. The config file is text based and can be edited with any test editor.
As it does not require a graphical environment the 2D and 3D graphics tests are unavailable in this version, but it can be run from the Linux shell via Telnet if required.
The 64bit command line versions is included free when you purchase BurnInTest for Linux. The same license key will will work in the graphical version and the command line versions of the software. The command line version is included in the standard BurnInTest linux download.
BurnInTest Management Console (optional)
The PassMark BurnInTest™ Management Console Web server application allows test system information, test status and test result information to be managed centrally for BurnInTest tests.
Free upgrades are available for existing users who purchased and received their keys after 18
November 2016. To upgrade any version of BurnInTest Linux to BurnInTest Linux V4 please visit our Upgrade order page for details.